The look, feel, and shape of the breasts play a large part in the feminine appearance. Unfortunately for many women, the breasts can undergo numerous changes over time. There are many factors contributing to the shape of the breasts. With age, pregnancy, and even fluctuations in body weight, the breasts can stretch and sag, also known as breast ptosis. If you are one of the many women looking for a way to rejuvenate the appearance of your breasts, you may be a candidate for a breast lift. A breast lift, also called a mastopexy, is a surgical procedure that enables your surgeon to lift and revitalize the shape of the breast. The procedure is tailored to raise the profile of sagging breasts and create a more proportionate bust.
Dr. DeRosa utilizes five basic techniques for the correction of sagging breasts:
- Breast Implant Alone: For women with a small degree of breast sagging, placement of a breast implant alone may give some uplift and breast enlargement without the need for a separate breast lift procedure.
- Crescent Lift: This lift gives a slight uplift of the nipple but little lift of breast tissue. It is best done at the time of breast augmentation. A fine incision is made at the upper edge of the areola (pigmented area around the nipple).
- Circle Lift: the circle lift, or Binelli Lift, may be useful for mild breast lift needs. It is a useful technique in patients also desiring breast enlargement. With the circle lift, both the nipple and breast tissue can be lifted, the breast skin tightened, the nipple size reduced if desired, and a breast implant placed.
- Lollipop lift: For women with sagging breasts with too much skin below the nipple, a lollipop lift is a nice way to lift the breast. The incision is similar to the circle lift, except that a vertical line also extends from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease. This technique allows a greater degree of uplift than the circle lift and is generally needed for women who have lost a great deal of breast tissue and/or have significant excess at the bottom of the breast.
- Full Lift: The full breast lift, or anchor lift, is reserved for women with severe breast sagging. In this technique, the breast is lifted and completely re-contoured and reshaped. The nipple can, therefore, be lifted drastically giving excellent results. The incisions required are similar to the lollipop lift, except that an additional incision is required in the breast crease. Patients having the full breast lift have been extremely happy with their breast shape improvement. The breast incisions tend to fade nicely with time.*